Kiss Me, I'm Irish Lip Balm
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Looking for a fun gift to celebrate? Try sharing homemade lip balm for smooth, kissable lips. With only four all-natural ingredients, this delightful lip balm is super easy to make and a lot of fun to share with others!
- Beeswax Pellets: These natural beeswax pellets are simple to work with and have a mild honey-like aroma. For this recipe you will need 6 grams (approximately 4 teaspoons).
- Cocoa Butter: This solid ingredient extracted from dried cocoa beans has a wonderfully-rich chocolate aroma and works as a natural skin moisturizer. You will need 10 grams (approximately 1 Tablespoon) for this recipe.
- Jojoba Oil: This natural vegetable wax closely mimics the skin's own sebum and is often used to help moisturize the skin. You will need 3 Tablespoons for this recipe.
- Essential Oils: These not only give your lip balm its own unique scent and flavor, but they also add the benefits of the essential oil you use to your lip balm creation. Some oils that work well with this recipe include lavender, peppermint (which can have a cooling effect), or a lemon-thyme blend (15 drops lemon, 3–5 drops thyme). You will need 10–20 drops of your chosen oil or blend for this recipe.
- Lip Balm Dispensers: This recipe will fill 8–10 containers.
- Blank White Labels: You can download our "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" label template here.
- Using a kitchen scale, measure out 6 grams of beeswax pellets, and place them in a heat-proof measuring cup (such as a Pyrex™ brand measuring cup).
- Measure out 10 grams of cocoa butter; then add the cocoa butter into the measuring cup with the beeswax.
- Add 3 Tablespoons (about 45 ml) of jojoba oil to the beeswax and cocoa butter.
- Place the measuring cup in a large frying pan that is filled with 1" of hot water.
- Place the frying pan and measuring cup on the stove, and turn the burner on low.
- Stir the mixture in the measuring cup with a Popsicle stick or bamboo skewer every couple of minutes until the wax is completely melted (about 5–15 minutes).
- Turn off the stove, and carefully remove the measuring cup from the frying pan. Place the measuring cup on a towel on a countertop or table.
- Stir in 5–10 drops of your desired essential oil or blend.
- Pour the mixture into lip balm dispensers, lip gloss containers, or any other small jar or container. This recipe will fill 8–10 containers. You may find it easier (and cleaner) to use a small dropper to transfer the mixture into the small containers or a small funnel to help pour the mixture into the containers without spilling on the side. Allow mixture to cool and solidify.
- Print the label template we have provided, or create your own fun labels. Set up your labels so that two labels fit
side-by-side on each 2" x 4" label; then cut the label in half after
printing so that you have two labels that each measure 2" x 2".