Harvest Moon Milk-Bath Fizzers
These fun milk-bath fizzers are simple to make and are a lot of fun to use. Simply drop one into warm bathwater, and it will instantly begin fizzing, creating a milky foam scented by the aroma of your favorite natural essential oil or blend. Sit back and relax as your body soaks up the natural properties of your chosen essential oils. These fizzers also make great gifts for family, friends, and others!
- Baking Soda (1/2 Cup): This can be found at any grocery store.
- Citric Acid (1/4 Cup): This can be found at many grocery stores or at candy-making supply stores.
- Powdered Milk (1 Tbsp + 1 tsp): This is found at most grocery stores. Use low-fat or skim milk powder if possible.
- Cornstarch (1 Tbsp): Found at most grocery stores.
- Jojoba Oil (1 Tbsp): This natural liquid wax closely mimics the skin's own oils and can help moisturize the skin.
- Water (1 tsp)
- Essential Oils (20-30 drops): These not only give your bath fizzers their own unique scent, but they also add to your bath the benefits of the essential oil you choose.
- Mix together 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup citric acid, 1 Tbsp powdered milk, and 1 Tbsp cornstarch thoroughly in a glass bowl.
- In a small glass bowl, mix together 1 tsp powdered milk, 1 tsp water, 1 Tbsp jojoba oil, and 25-35 drops of your chosen essential oil or blend.
- Drizzle the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients, and use a fork or pastry blender to cut the liquid into the mixture until the mixture resembles fine crumbs and packs together when pressed.
- Pack the mixture tightly into your desired molds (for the shape above, I used a tiny glass bowl for the mold, but you can also use measuring cups, measuring spoons, candy/soap molds, cookie cutters, or whatever else you desire). Once the mixture is packed into the mold, carefully invert the mold over a cookie sheet or plate, and carefully remove the fizzer (you may need to tap the edge of the mold slightly on the cookie sheet or plate to get the fizzer to release).
- Allow the fizzer to dry overnight (possibly longer for larger fizzers or less time for smaller fizzers).
- Wrap any fizzers not being used right away in plastic wrap or foil, and store them in a cool location.
- To use the fizzer, simply fill your tub with warm bathwater, and drop your fizzer into the water. Relax and enjoy your bath!
- To create the harvest-moon gift basket shown in the picture above, I dropped a tiny amount of gray chalk powder (made from my kids' sidewalk chalk set) onto a finished fizzer and spread in gently with my finger to create the moon-shadows before wrapping the fizzer in plastic wrap. I then arranged a black towel, a tan hand towel, and a brown and a green washcloth in the basket as shown. You could also fill a couple of 1 oz. plastic bottles with shampoo, conditioner, or bath gel and wrap them with brown paper for the tree trunk for an additional surprise.
- Make fun fizzing surprises by hiding small soaps or plastic toys in a larger fizzer. Just pack a large mold about halfway with the mixture, place a small soap or toy in the center, and then pack the rest of the mold with the mixture.
- Combine some of these milk-bath fizzers with some bath melts, aromatherapy soaps, and some exfoliating foot scrub for an aromatic-bath gift basket.