Gel-Fresh Air Freshener
These naturally-scented gel air fresheners are great for the home, the car, the office, or anywhere else you desire. They also make great inexpensive gifts that you can share with anyone.
- Dissolve two envelopes (2 Tbs) of unflavored gelatin in 1/2 cup of boiling water (this may take up to 5 minutes).
- Add 1/2 cup of ice-cold water to the gelatin mixture.
- Add 10–15 drops of an essential oil or blend of your choice.
- Add 3–5 drops of food coloring (if desired).
- Stir in 1 Tbs of salt or 10–15 drops of a natural grain alcohol, if desired (the salt or alcohol helps inhibit mold from growing on the gel).
- Pour the gel mixture into 2 oz. salve containers, 1 oz. salve containers, or used baby food jars.
- Close the containers or jars, and allow to cool overnight (do not place in the fridge because your food will absorb the scent).
- Decorate the containers or jars as desired.
- To use these gel air fresheners, open the container, place on a warm stovetop (not on the burner) while cooking, or simply place the open container on the counter or a shelf inside your home or in a cup-holder inside your car.
- Try creating layered gels by filling a jar 1/2 way with one color of gel, allowing that to cool for a couple of hours, and then pouring another color of gel on top of that.
For great blends that you can use to create gel air fresheners, see the book 500 Formulas for Aromatherapy by Carol Schiller & David Schiller.