Essential Oil Sample Game
Share the benefits of essential oils with others with this fun game! This easy-to-make game combines essential oils with the classic three-in-a-row game and is a great way to give the gift of essential oils to friends, family, and neighbors!
- 1" square tiles: These can be found at many home improvement stores. They can be ceramic, natural stone, or glass tiles, as long as you have contrasting colors. You will need 9 tiles (5 of one color; 4 of a contrasting color) to make up the playing squares for the game. The squares pictured above are natural stone tiles.
Either a 6" square tile or a 1"x 6" board cut to 6" to make a square for the base: These can be found at many home improvement stores. You will need 1 base for each game.
- A 6" square of felt or foam: Found at most fabric stores, this will be used to help cushion the game-board base.
Sample Labels (optional)
: These oil-resistant sample labels are perfect for labeling your essential oil samples. For the Everyday Oils Label Kit, click here
- Sample Card Assortment or Reference Guide Mini Reference Card or Primary Usage Guide (optional): These cards are the perfect companion for this game to let the recipient know some of the many ways that the oils can be used.
Essential Oils: Any combination of oils can be used, but this game works perfectly with the Everyday Oils kit as an introduction to the oils.
Using a glue appropriate to the materials being used, glue the nine 1" tiles in a checkerboard pattern in the center of the 6" base. If using a wood base, you can also drill five 9/16"or 5/8" diameter holes evenly spaced along each of 2 opposite sides of the playing board, only drilling about halfway into the wood. This will create slots to hold each oil-sample playing piece when not in use.
- Glue the 6" square piece of felt or foam to the bottom of the base (this will help prevent the game board from scratching the surface it is placed on).
- Fill 10 sample vials with your desired oils, and label them accordingly. Place the orifice reducer in each vial, and cap five of the vials with white caps and five of them with black caps.
- Place these 10 samples in a plastic or cloth bag (or in the slots along the side of the playing board if you made them). Box and wrap the playing board and oil samples along with the sample cards or a Mini Reference Card.
- To play the game, take turns with a partner placing one of your playing pieces on one square on the board. The first person with three pieces in a row (horizontally, vertically, or diagonally), wins the game.
- This game is a lot of fun to use as a centerpiece at an essential oil party or other meeting! Give individuals time to play the game as people are gathering; then allow them to smell and use the oils to gain their own experiences with them as you share more information about their benefits and how they have helped you and others you know.
- An alternate way to play is to assign each person a color; then take turns drawing a Sample Card and placing the oil sample that matches that card on the board in an effort to get three-in-a-row of your color or to prevent the other player from making three-in-a-row with his or her color.