"Car Charms" Car Diffusers
These simple car diffusers are easy to make and work really well! Include a bottle of your favorite essential oil to make a great gift for anyone who loves to drive.
- Battery Operated Diffuser Refill Pads: Available on our website for $1.00 (package of 5 pads).
- Paper Clips: Regular wire paper clips that can be found at any office supply store or at any store that sells school or office supplies.
- Essential Oils: Choose your favorite oils or blends.
Scissors or Small Die-Cut Dies and Punches: Small die-cut dies or paper punches work well for getting perfectly cut shapes quickly, but scissors also work for cutting out any desired shapes.
Wire: Choose a wire that is fairly bendable. You can use the paper clips for this wire if you desire.
Pliers: Used for bending the wire.
Push Pin or Small Hole Punch: Used to punch a hole in the top of your diffuser.
- Use the scissors, dies, or paper punches to cut small shapes from the Battery Operated Diffuser Pads.
- Punch a small hole near the top of the shape you created with a push pin or small hole punch.
- Create a small loop (about 1/4"–1/3" in diameter) out of the wire or a small piece of one of the paper clips. Be sure that the ends of the loop overlap slightly. Spread the ends of the loop apart slightly, and thread the shape onto the loop. Push the ends of the loop back together so the shape can't slide off.
- Thread the loop holding the shape onto a paper clip so that the loop is on the side of the paper clip that only has one curve.
- Place a few drops of your desired essential oil or oil blend onto the front side of the shape (start with 2-3 drops; then add more if you desire a stronger scent). Note: Do not over-saturate the pad, as this can allow the oils to drip or smear onto your car's interior. Certain oils such as cinnamon and some citrus oils can damage certain types of plastics and vinyls, so care should be taken to ensure these oils do not come in contact with the interior surfaces of the car.
- Clip the paper clip attached to the shape onto the fins of one of the air vents inside your car. The shape should now be hanging away from the vent on the end of the paper clip.
- As you drive, the air from the vent will blow around and through the pad, diffusing your oils throughout the car. If the scent starts to fade, recharge the pad with a few more drops of oil as desired.
- Use two (or more) pads to create multi-level car diffusers like the one in the picture above. Use natural dies or markers to color your diffuser as desired.
Make a variety of small shapes, and string several of them onto a loop of wire for your own 'charm bracelet' or 'charm necklace' car diffuser.