Extremely Natural Massage Sticks
Savor a new way to enjoy massage with
these sweet sticks! Simply slide the stick over the lucky recipient's
skin, and the massage oils will melt right onto the skin, allowing for a
smooth, luxurious massage. To top it all off, these massage sticks are
completely natural and incorporate the benefits of your desired
essential oil or blend! Read on for instructions on how to create these
easy-to-make massage sticks.
- Beeswax: This can be found at local health stores,
craft stores, or candle-making supply stores. It is available either in
its natural golden color, or it is also available in a bleached white
color. It can be purchased either in blocks that can be grated with a
cheese grater to get smaller pieces that are easier to work with, or it
can also be purchased as small pellets. For this recipe, you will need
0.2 ounces (approximately one tablespoon).
- Cocoa butter: You will need 4 ounces (by weight) for
this recipe. The cocoa butter will give your massage stick a chocolate
aroma, so you may want to select oils that will complement this aroma.
- Jojoba oil: You will need 2 tablespoons for this recipe.
- Essential oils: These not only give your massage stick
its own unique scent and flavor, but they also add the benefits of the
essential oils to your creation. For a relaxing massage, you may want to
try oils such as lavender, ylang ylang, chamomile, geranium,
frankincense, or sandalwood. For an invigorating massage, you may want
to try oils such as wintergreen, peppermint, or eucalyptus. You will
need about 100–150 drops of your desired essential oil or blend for this recipe.
- Weigh out 4 ounces of cocoa butter and 0.2 ounces of beeswax, and place them in a heat-proof measuring cup (such as Pyrex).
- Add 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil.
- Place the measuring cup in an electric frying pan (or a large frying pan) that is filled with 1"–2" of hot water.
- Turn the electric frying pan on low
(about 200°) (or, alternately, place the large frying pan and measuring
cup on the stove, and turn the burner on low).
- Stir the mixture in the measuring cup
with a Popsicle stick or a bamboo skewer until the wax and cocoa butter
are completely melted (about 15–20 minutes: the smaller the cocoa butter and wax pieces are to begin with, the quicker they will melt).
- Turn off the frying pan (or stove);
carefully remove the measuring cup from the water, and place it on a
towel. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Stir in 100–150 drops of your desired essential oil or blend.
- Carefully pour the mixture into lip balm dispensers, small deodorant dispensers, or other dispensing containers. This recipe will fill 20–25 lip balm containers (these are the perfect size to create one-time-use massage sticks). Place the filled containers in the freezer to cool and harden.
- To use your massage stick, simply rub the
stick directly onto the skin, and the oils will melt onto the
skin--ready to be massaged into the skin. Store in a cool location.
- Create fun labels for your lip balm creations using 2" x 4" labels. Set up your labels so that two labels fit side-by-side on each 2" x 4" label, then cut the label in half after printing so you have two labels that each measure 2" x 2". This size fits perfectly on our white lip balm dispensers.